Dental Practitioners Become Podcasting Pros in 7 Simple Steps
Do you price network outreach activities? Are you looking for better methods to communicate with—and educate—your sufferers, your friends, or maybe the media? If your goal is to supply your message to more human beings, extra effectively, greater regularly, then I have the solution you’ve been searching out … and it’s powerful, amusing and remarkably easy.
Why now not use the slicing facet era of podcasting to spread consciousness approximately the importance of proper oral fitness? Stay with me now—if you have a slight case of technophobia, that’s ok. I’m assured that if your exercise has the technical recognize-how to produce an internet e-newsletter, then mastering to integrate podcasting into your outreach sports may be a snap. And consider me—podcasting is the most innovative mass-verbal exchange vehicle to emerge in years, and will greatly increase the efficiency and attain of your message.
Let’s begin with the fundamentals. Think of a podcast as a radio application that everybody can download from the Internet. Put another way, a podcast is a digital document that is available to all and sundry—thru unfastened subscription—over the web. Most podcasts are audio documents simplest (like CDs), but video content can be brought as nicely (like DVDs). The most important advantage of podcasting over conventional broadcasting is that users can download these internet documents to their private computer systems, mp3 players, and/or CDs, and then pay attention to them at their comfort—of their vehicle, for the duration of their morning run, or even to your reception vicinity.
More and extra, podcasts have become recognized because the brand new sturdy verbal exchange device to harness the Internet’s strength to attain a huge range of listeners quickly. If your podcast contains precious records, your listeners will proportion it with others, hastily disseminating your message around the globe. Also, due to the fact podcasts use RSS (simply surely syndication) era, new episodes are added for your subscribers seamlessly. Once a listener subscribes to a podcast the use of iTunes or every other similar provider, that carrier robotically downloads new episodes as they may be launched, making it practically instantaneous and handy on your target market to obtain your message.
Putting together an expert-sounding podcast is simpler than you may assume. Since treasured content is paramount, the first step is to prepare exciting topics for your episodes. I recommend which you commit to producing bi-month-to-month episodes, which means which you, first of all, want handiest six topics per yr. Once podcasting becomes a part of your recurring, increase your production to 12 subjects per yr. If you’re already generating a paper or online publication to your patients, the most logical development could be to reformat some of that content material into podcasts. A proper manner to start is to identify topics that you could cowl in extra element through talking approximately them in a podcast as opposed to writing approximately them in an e-newsletter.
For example, the most current newsletter that my dentist emailed to me blanketed a piece of writing approximately the dangers of periodontal disorder, together with records on how it is able to be related to the development of heart ailment, caution symptoms to watch out for, and recommended preventative moves. This is valuable facts that I am interested in, and I am grateful to be in this mailing listing. But consider that I have obtained this statistics in the form of an audio podcast, personally recorded with the aid of my dentist, urging me to book an appointment for a far-wanted checkup. I am right away spurred to motion! Speaking at once to your target market—for your personal voice and together with your personal inflection, tone and spirit—creates a far more intimate reference to your sufferers. This relationship-constructing best is inherent in audio, and it’s a part of what makes podcasting so effective.
If you have doubts about the tremendous attractiveness of digital audio files, don’t forget this statistic: on April nine, 2007, Apple announced the sale of its one hundred millionth iPod and more than 2.5 billion songs from the iTunes Music Store. Now take into account that all people can down load podcasts from this equal song shop and pay attention to them thru their mp3 player or their computer, or burn them to CD … at no cost! As more and more humans (along with your sufferers) “song in” to audio files through the internet, providing them podcasts that complement and extend on the content material of your present newsletters presents you with another manner to remind them about the importance of right oral fitness and the services you provide.
1. Verify that your PC is walking Windows 2000, XP or Vista, and has the potential to play audio files.
2. Invest in a microphone. Altec Lansing makes decent products, a number of which list for under $30, and are to be had at Future Shop. But I advocate splurging a bit to enhance your audio first-rate. Blue Microphones makes a remarkable USB mic referred to as the Snowball, which retails for $one hundred thirty on the Canadian online Apple Store. (This mic will even paintings along with your Windows PC.)
3. Download and install your recording software program. Audacity is a remarkable audio editor that is available for download from http://audacity.Sourceforge.Internet. And you can’t beat their price factor: it’s loose.
4. Record and edit your podcast.
Five. Partner with a web website hosting provider to install an internet site mainly on your podcast. Liberated Syndication is extraordinarily less expensive and gives me the entirety I need. At $5 USD per month, I can hire one hundred megabytes of storage space per month, which translates into approximately hours of audio. This simple website hosting account offers me unlimited bandwidth, meaning that even as my target market grows exponentially, my month-to-month cost in no way will increase. LibSyn additionally presents me with easy-to-use templates for my podcast’s website, and robotically generates and updates my podcast’s RSS feed. Another, comparable service worth considering is Go Daddy.
6. Upload your new podcast for your hosting provider the use of their simple submission web page. Completing the submission web page is much like sending an email. Simply type within the title of your podcast (like a topic line), add the description of your episode (like the frame of your email), and encompass your mp3 document (as an attachment). You can even attach a corresponding photo, if you want. Uploading your podcast stores the mp3 report online and makes it available in your target audience—they could download your podcast out of your newly created podcast website.
7. Promote your podcast! This is as easy as sending an electronic mail declaration in your touch list with the URL of your podcast’s internet site. But to take benefit of the various online podcast directories, you need to go to their websites and publish your podcast’s RSS feed. You ought to never pay to be covered in these directories, for the reason that first-class ones—which include iTunes, Podcast Alley, Odeo, and Podcast Pickle—are free.